Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sailing

A few weeks ago, I again went sailing for five days on a ship called the Tole Mour. This trip was by far the best. For the first time, the high school trip was combine with the elementary school trip (because there was not enough high school interest). My frist thought was "crap...little kids", but it was great. Besides myself, there were three other high schoolers who had been on the ship before. We were signed on as "Junior Counselors" meaning, we were able to take the lead in activities. I was had been on the ship the most, meaning I had the most experienc (yeah!). There was quite an age difference among the students, from 6th graders all the way to seniors; mostly little kids from 6th to 8th grade. Honestly I had a blast teaching the kids; whether it be diving to show them marine life, tying knots on the deck, or simply making them laugh and having fun learning; 'twas all good.

A few of my friends were on board; and surprisingly enough, I made a few new ones. Also, I knew most of the ships standing crew; most notably is Scott, who I met in 8th grade during my first trip. About the 2nd day out, a girl in the 7th grade told me "You're like the older brother I never had." Being the sentimental fool that I am, my heart melted, and we became good friends; actually fooling some of crew into thinking we really were siblings (god I don't know how we look nothing alike...). My friend Molly at the last minute was able to go. I was absolutely thrilled she was able to. We were already good friends, but we became even closer...I trust her more now, and we are a little more open with each other. She is one of the few people I truly refer to as a friend.

There is so much to tell about...whether it be Chris and Luke with a guitar, Stephen making the kids laugh with his..."silliness", the bloody awesome guy with the nickname "Nacho Panda", the beauty of the ocean, or Molly's smile...all was right with the world. This trip I bonded with everyone more than I usually do. The crew, the students, we became a family...even if it was only for a short time.

I keep in touch with most of the students, we all live in the same city after all; well actually two cities that are pretty close by. They call me "Joe", for that is my name on board. I might post pictures later. The trip was increadible; I'll never forget the friends and the thrill.

‘Twas my fifth time sailing on the Tole Mour, and sadly my last. The company that owns the ship can no longer afford to maintain it, so the ship was sold. Sometime before the end of the year, the ship is sailing to Italy.
Bye Tole.
<- Molly (dear friend), Me (ocean tan), Elena ("little sister")